The Super Bo-, I mean Big Game. It’s pinnacle of the football season. It’s one of the biggest party days of the year. It’s always also my last hurrah for decadent dishes of food. The diet starts when football ENDS!
This year will look a bit different as it’s more about small parties and less food this year. We’re not roasting a whole pig today! This is where the Beefer comes in super handy; it yields quick food that’s cooked to perfection every time.
Today we’re focusing on appetizers or small bites that are more filling. We usually see the giant crock pot of buffalo chicken dip and bags of chips, but today we’re compressing that all into one bite with the help of the Beefer. These Buffalo Chicken Cheddar Crisps, are cheesy, creamy, meaty and just the right mouthful of food!
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 chicken breasts, thinly sliced or pounded out (about 6 oz. each)
- 1 tbsp. Cooper Duper smoked Mediterranean Sea Salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 brick)
- 1/3 cup hot wing sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: About 12
- Preheat the Beefer to high heat.Cover the bottom of a gastro tray in aluminum foil (I used two gastro trays and alternated them to move quickly. Click here if you need to pick up another tray – https://ca.beefer.com/shop/gastro-tray-13-gn/). Place about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese into each end of the gastro tray, to make two cheese crisps per tray. Place them in the center rack of the Beefer and allow them to cook for about 60-75 seconds. You can carefully rotate them about half-way through if you like, but it’s not necessary if the Beefer is fully heated. Remove the tray from the Beefer and allow the cheese crisps to cool before handling the foil and removing them from the tray. Repeat until you have the desired number of cheese crisps.
- Place the chicken breasts on a Beefer grill grate and sprinkle both sides with Cooper’s Provisions Smoked Mediterranean Sea Salt. Place a gastro tray in the bottom of the Beefer to catch drippings. Place the grill grate with the chicken on the center rack of the Beefer and grill for about 2 minutes on each side, until the center temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.Remove the chicken, allow it to cool and then chop it into small cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped green onions and blue cheese crumbles.Mix until combined. Set aside until ready to plate.
- For the sauce, place the cream cheese, hot wing sauce, onion powder and garlic powder into a medium saucepan.Heat on medium heat and stir occasionally until the sauce is melted, combined and thick. Add the chicken and stir until it’s combined and coated with the sauce.
- To finish: Place the cheese crisps onto a large serving dish.Add a spoonful of the buffalo chicken mixture and sprinkle the top with the green onion/blue cheese mixture.
Cheese crisps are super easy to make and they’re a perfect job for the Beefer. Fire it up to high heat, line a gastro tray with some foil and put about 2 tbsp. of shredded cheese on each end:
I used a mild cheddar cheese here, but you can use almost any kind of cheese you want. They’ll be browned and bubbly after about 75 seconds. You can keep them in a few seconds longer if you want them extra crispy, but these stayed a bit soft in the center so they could be folded over and eaten in one bite!
The topping is an easier variation of the internet famous buffalo chicken dip. I cooked up three thinly sliced chicken breasts that I slathered with some Smoked Mediterranean Sea Salt from Cooper’s Provisions. I placed them half-way down in the Beefer for about 2 minutes per side:
This whole recipe took about 30 minutes and made the perfect large tray of appetizers for a small party. Unfortunately, it was just me, testing and writing recipes, and eating them all myself. Again, the diet starts when football ENDS.
I chopped them up and added them to a mixture of melted cream cheese, my favorite hot wing sauce, some garlic and onion powder. I spooned the topping onto the cheese crisps and then topped them off with some chopped green onions and blue cheese crumbles!
Pro Tip: the Buffalo Chicken mixture can also be made ahead of time and served warm (just reheat in the microwave) or chilled. It’s rich, flavorful and delicious either way!